24 Questions You Should Ask
Because information is power, empower yourself by asking good questions during your interview. Wherever you interview, including here at Columbia St. Mary's, be sure to ask faculty and current residents these important questions.
|Questions for Faculty
||Questions for Residents
- How many beds does your hospital have? How many ICU beds?
- What is the demographic breakdown of your patient population, both inpatient and outpatient?
- What services are available at the hospital and clinic?
- What specialties are represented at the hospital? Please describe the working relationship between the Residency and the specialists.
- How busy is the Emergency Room?
- How many deliveries does your hospital perform a year and what will be my level of involvement?
- What is my exposure and experience regarding procedures?
- How is your inpatient medicine team designed? Number of students? Interns? Senior-level residents? How busy is it?
- What is your teaching philosophy?
- If a resident has struggles, how would he or she be supported?
- What is the one thing about your program that you think needs to be improved and why?
- What is the biggest advantage your program has over others in the area?
- What was the most important factor that made you choose to come here?
- What is the relationship like between residents and the various specialists at the hospital?
- Do you feel supported by faculty?
- What is a typical call like?
- Can you explain what a 'typical' week (or month) is like for a first year? How about second and third?
- What are the program's lecture series like? Are the lectures relevant to your training?
- From where do you believe most of your learning comes?
- What are the program's strengths?
- Where can the program be improved?
- Are residents concerns' addressed? What is the process?
- What do you do for fun? What is the relationship like with the other residents?
- If the program is considered "opposed": Can you please explain what it is like to have another program represented at the hospital. How will it affect my training?